13 November 2010

I've Lost You

Elvis.
My dear sweet voice, it's gone.

My voice has been my #1 companion since I can remember. I don't lose it at sporting events, dances, or when I happen to be screaming for long periods of time.
it happens more often than you would think. He never leaves me. He may feel a tad sore and worn out at the end of a day, but who doesn't feel that way when their day comes to a close. I've even purposely tried to lose him a few times, but he has always stayed faithfully by my side. Until yesterday. We started out the day as chummy as could be, but as the day went on he started to leave, walking slowly and subtly farther and farther away from me. So by the time I finished my shift at work, he had nearly left me completely. All he left me is a hoarse, high pitched, always fading in and out stranger. This stranger is no friend to me, and I would sincerely like my old one back. We were such good friends.

People seem to think it's funny when words can't come out of your mouth. Or when they do come out and you sound like a 12 year old boy going through puberty. All my customers thought it was a hoot. Some even saying, "you know, your voice doesn't sound too well." Really? Thanks for the update kind stranger, I had no idea talking was hard for me.

I guess being family gives others the right to make fun of you even more, because when we went to dinner, they all thought it completely hilarious that I couldn't speak. And they all found it painful to listen to as well. So what did I do? Sang along with the radio and background music of the restaurant obviously.

And to top off the night I went to my schools stomp. I knew I shouldn't have gone, and the night resulted in my mom coming to get me after being there for only an hour anyways.
I felt like I was in junior high again. I hated not being able to scream the songs with Katy, or even be heard by anyone near me. And the massive fog amount the DJ decided to disperse across the dance floor didn't help my stranger voice be heard. Life was rough.

Please let me know if you find my voice. The new stranger he left me with, we don't get along.

No comments:

Post a Comment