19 October 2010

Hey Soul Sister

Train.
The first time I heard this song I was driving along the coast of Kauai early in the morning with my dad to find the perfect spot to watch the sunrise.

Hawaii vacations. Could anything be more perfect? Surrounded by your family, people you love to be around and that love to be around you as well. Not having to worry about what you look like or wear because you're never going to see the people on the island again, apart from your family who could care less if your hair falls the right way. The stress free days and nights;not having to worry about school, life, how late it is, what time you need to get up in the morning, or anything. Just about what you feel like doing, which swimsuit to wear, or what to eat. Things are simplistic and perfect. I miss that, and every time I hear this song it makes me miss it more.

Life's complicated, and the complexity only grows every time I wake up. Maybe I'm not one to talk, I'm only 18 right? But for my life things are out of control. I'm growing up.
When I went to pick up sophie today from school she had a paper in her hand, I asked her what it was and she said "It's the address and number to my new friend!" Don't you wish we could all go back to that? When you gave out your number because you made a new friend? Instead of giving it out for a group project, or so that you can get a shift covered at work. Back when making friends meant who you colored with that day, ah I miss it.

But I'm not really allowed to miss it anymore right? I have college and applications to worry about. Graduation announcements to order, senior recitals to practice for, a job to work at. Life is coming a lot faster than I want it to. If only I hadn't wanted to grow up so fast....

No comments:

Post a Comment