18 March 2013

Young Married Student Ward

First of all, that title alone is too long to tell people when they ask what ward you are in.

Will and I ave lived here in married student housing since July and it's been quite an experience. While our tiny yet cozy apartment isn't our favorite, we do enjoy it. Our neighbors have a tendency to be a little overbearing at times but we have made a few friends.
I love going to sacrament meeting, and feeling more uplifted than I have all week.
However, I dread Relief Society and Sunday school.
Why?
It's filled with babies and pregnant women. While I have nothing against this, and I love playing with all of the babies there, I wish they wouldn't make it seem like that is the lifestyle I need to have. Every Sunday we are asked if anyone is pregnant yet. And I really do mean every Sunday. And yesterday, during ward conference, our stake Relief Society president got up and the first thing she said was how proud and excited she was to see so many pregnant women and new babies here.
While I do see how this is fulfilling a commandment, and how amazing it is to be a mother, some of us are not in that stage of life. Some of us aren't ready.
I was excited when she addressed this, until she said, get ready, stop being scared, and start fulfilling commandments...

This might be my cynical side coming out, but it seems like every lesson revolves around mother hood and how to be a good stay at home mom.

I'm ready to move to a family ward where the lessons can be about doctrine and uplifting ourselves to make us better.

I want to attend church and be uplifted all three hours. I want to leave feeling better about myself.
Lately, I leave feeling worse. Like my lifestyle of working full time and attending school full time is wrong.

This might be a bit to personal for a blog. But I needed to write this all out

1 comment: