12 June 2011

Thoroughly Modern

New York was phenomenal.
I don't care how long it takes, but I will move there. Preferably the Manhattan area.

Perhaps it was the dozens of languages I heard spoken, or the wide diversity, the broadway musicals on every corner, the entire avenue devoted to food, 5th avenue upscale glamor, Tiffany's, the central park appeal, or the bright, daytime feel on Times Square at 11 pm. It was engrossing, intoxicating, amazing.

The sweet Irish waitress whom I was nearly certain was going to adopt me. The fascinating New York accents, the pushy, touchy asians. Confusing and marvelous.

My name won't be in lights, I won't be headlining on Broadway, and I won't have the money to live in the same building as Yoko Ono. My name will be in fine print after a column of the New York Times or Wall Street Journal. I won't be famous, but I will become a citizen of that amazing city.

True, I immediately knew I was a small town mormon the moment I arrived, but I'll learn to fit in.

No comments:

Post a Comment