05 February 2011

Not Afraid

Eminem. Only, I was.

Auditions. I do them all the time. Go into a room, play a piece or two for a judge, bow and I'm done.
Auditioning for music programs is nothing like this. Nothing.

The nice college student showed me to the door, opened it and shoved me through while saying "good luck! You sounded fantastic in the practice room I'm sure you'll be great." And then I saw where I was. I was standing on a stage with empty seats all around me except for 10 important looking people scattered all over the auditorium writing every thought on yellow sheets of paper.

I nearly peed.

I set my music on my stand as one of the people asked what I would be playing. I recited my pieces while worrying that my legs might shake right off my body. She said, "let's hear your Bach." I began. All the while thankful that shaking is usually acceptable when playing a violin. Your violent shaking can usually be passed off for vibrato. I had only learned this piece 3 days previous and while playing I could feel Mr. Bach turning over in his grave. I killed it.

"O.k. let's hear your next one" she said. Oh no, I had to play this one from memory. I could feel the vomit coming up. With a small prayer in my heart, hoping the I wouldn't fall over or accidentally launch my bow across the stage from lack of grip, I began. It was rough, and she stopped me halfway through, but I lost myself in the song after the first couple measures, so let's all hope that was a good thing.

She then asked me what I would like to be majoring in, I told her several of my options and then she asked "If there was anything you would like to improve about yourself what would it be?" "Well, I tend to get hungry a lot." They all chuckled. She then told me I was finished and could leave. I then apologized for possibly murdering Bach, again.

The young college student stroked my back and told me I had nothing to apologize for, that I did amazing. I think he gets paid...

What did we learn today? Brenna has stage fright.

1 comment: