28 February 2011

Vacation

Simple Plan.
Tour Season has struck Timpanogos High School.
Ballroom and Choir are just returning, and Band/Orchestra are leaving this week.

I love when other groups leave. There are more options for parking in the mornings. Teachers seem to have a more relaxed lesson plan knowing that more than half their class will be gone. It's rather fantastic.
However the real plus is that I am included in the fine arts winter adventure, falling into the category of orchestra. Now, for my past 2 years we have traveled with the choir, making tour the most memorable experience of high school. But this year I didn't get so lucky. They went the week before we go, and I'm left with the band kids.
For the past 2 years I and a small few orchestra members have ventured away from the band and enjoyed the weekend with choir. If I didn't sound like the seagull from The Little Mermaid, I would have been a choral girl as well. Sadly, I can't sing so I found myself in the orchestra. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't have it any other way. But often times I can't help but ask myself, "Do I act as they do?" I realize I'm the stereotypical nerd, but I truly hope I don't behave as a band kid would.

Choir kids are known for their volume. Orchestra members often find themselves in the category as laid back and sophisticated. (It's the romantic period side effects) And band kids are widely known for their obscurities and hyperactivity. Now, you must understand that I do love the bandees with all my heart, but I simply do not fit in to their social group. They enjoy being loud and rude at public restaurants, sticking straw wrappers in hair, making whistling noises with those same wrappers, and simply making a mess. My inner self wishes to fit in with them, they always sound like they are thoroughly enjoying themselves. Yet, I was taught to behave and act civilized in public.
Without the choir as my fall back, I'm not sure how this trip will go down. Wish me luck.

1 comment: